Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge: I is for Icebergs!



I have a terrible "guilty pleasure" tendency to make Titanic references in my writing. Maybe it's the preteen girl who obsessed over Jack Dawson deep within me crying out that she'll never let go. Regardless of the reason, it slips into my stories. One thing that Haley references a lot in Chasing Forever Down is a certain character's eyes (I know, how typical, right?). She refers to them as "iceberg eyes" not just because of their shade of blue but because of the vibe she gets from him.

To quote her: "I laugh my way right into a clumsy collision with a pissed off twenty-something with spiky black hair and icy blue eyes. And by icy, I don’t mean that dreamy see-through blue. I mean literal ice, like the bottom portion of an iceberg that you can’t see, but you know it’s out there and dangerous, and the fact that you can’t see it coming makes it all the more frightening."

This sets the tone for this guy's character. You get Haley's first impression of him, but you also feel the doom and danger that comes with him. I won't tell you which character this is (you'll have to read the book to find out!), but he's definitely a key player with quite a few icebergs of his own to deal with.

All main characters face doom, dangers, and risks in a novel. I love metaphors and similies, like comparing this guy and his secrets to icebergs. How do YOU describe your MC's doom, dangers, and/or risks?

1 comment:

  1. oooo makes me think... thanks for the post. Very nicely written. ;) Now I want to read that book. Happy a to z!

    ReplyDelete