Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge: A is for A.J.!




I made the last minute decision to participate in the A to Z Blogging Challenge this year. With the recent release of my debut novel, Chasing Forever Down, I decided to use that book as my theme for the month. April will be an A to Z trip through Chasing Forever Down, and I'll share some insight on my writing habits in the process. So without further ado...


A is for A.J.!

A.J. Gonzalez is my favorite character in CFD, but he's also my favorite type of character to read and especially to write. He's the tormented "bad boy" with an edge but really has a heart of gold and is misunderstood. No matter how many times I've seen this stereotype done, I can't get enough of it. Characters like this are the most "real" to me. I've found through my own writing process that I always need one character that I can't get enough of, that I enjoy writing no matter how complicated the scene may be. This character usually is the one who pops up and helps me get through scenes where I get stuck. I think every writer has a certain "type" character they enjoy writing more than others, and as writers, we should embrace them.

Do you have a favorite type of character to read/write?

9 comments:

  1. I love reading books with a tortured hero, however when it comes to writing, I've had the best luck writing about farm boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fellow A-Z challenger stopping bye to say hello. Favorite type of character...hmm? I like a good, emotionally-tortured mc, one who can't seem to escape his/her past and is doomed so I guess that is what I tend to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy A to Z! I do love bad boys with a heart of gold. I also like big softies. But my favorite character type would probably be the trickster. Hell of a job to write well, but when done well, endlessly entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Black Dagger Brotherhood characters of which I chose to blog about in the A to Z challenge this year. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post, and nice to meet you, A.J.!! I am a Paranormal junkie, be it vampires, witches, shapeshifters, ghosts, just about anything! I read it and I write it. Good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AJ sounds just like my favorite type of character to read and write about :-) I have a few AJs in my work.
    Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone loves a good bad boy!

    I personally love writing the nerdy things and making them super sexy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to like the strong but quiet type. :) I guess. hee hee. I did write a funny sort of guy (I still don't know how I pulled that off). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite types of characters is the interesting-evil antagonist, as opposed to the just plain evil antagonist. I love being able to understand the motivations and backstory of a supposed bad guy, and to know what drove him or her to that kind of life. I also love a woman who starts out seeming kind of unsympathetic on paper, like Scarlett O'Hara or Amber St. Clare, and then grows so much over the book, to the point where the reader really roots for her and understands where she's coming from.

    ReplyDelete