Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge: P is for Paper Stars!


Everyone says life is all about the "little things." I agree - and I also think this is true about books. Today's letter is P, which represents paper stars. Paper stars are little things in Chasing Forever Down. I can't remember where I read it, but I once read an article that said a book should come full circle, with the beginning and ending tying neatly together. My story begins and somewhat ends with a few little things, such as the name Solomon and a paper star.

Paper stars (also known as origami stars) are a symbol/token of good luck. In CFD, Haley narrates her journey - with both amazing luck and at times, misfortune - and often she references back to the paper stars. To avoid too many spoilers, paper stars become symbolic for her as a means to express herself, make a statement, and accept new adventures. Paper stars really put a special stamp on CFD, and it's one thing that I'm proud made an impact on readers. It's a small element of the story, but many of my betas thought paper stars could've been on the book's cover just as easily as a surfer. (Paper stars in stock images are hard to find, by the way.)

Now, I must go listen to One Direction's "Little Things" because that song is one of the 'little things' that brightens my day.

What are some of the little things you enjoy in books? Or even in life?

No comments:

Post a Comment