Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

A to Z Blogging Challenge: S is for Surf's Up!


Research can be one of the hardest and most grueling tasks in writing a novel. It's a tough job making sure things are authentic. When I decided to write about surfers and a surf city, I had to dig in ocean deep with research. After all, Mississippi girls don't really have the life experience of a California coast beach goer. I had no idea just how much I was about to learn!

There's surf lingo, surf gangs, surf accessories, surf locations, and the list just goes on. It was really awesome though to learn about an entire other culture. Surf life is often portrayed in movies as beach bums with no jobs living like hippies and surfing their lives away. But not all surfers are like the ones we see in movies. For a lot of them, surfing is spiritual. For some, it's a bonding moment with nature. Some do it for the thrill and adrenline rush. Others do it because it's a moment that can't be put into words.

Surf culture is probably one of the most fascinating things I've ever been educated on, and I'm so very excited to write more novels within this world. What's the most interesting thing you've ever researched just because you wanted to know more about it?

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Nikki! I like doing research! That's one of the perks of being a writer. The only bad thing about it, though, is that sometimes I get lost in the fascinating research for too long, whoops! :)

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete