Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Music Monday: "This City" by Patrick Stump ft. Lupé Fiasco


Music Monday is a weekly feature where I highlight a song that has influenced me through writing, through life events, or just because it’s made my day a little better! This week, I’ll be highlighting…




Song title: “This City”
Artist: Patrick Stump ft. Lupé Fiasco

Featured novel: Chasing Forever Down (Drenaline Surf Series, #1)

The story behind this song: The first time I heard this song, I was driving to work listening to Kidd Kraddick In The Morning on the radio. It was 'camp rock' week, and I was listening for the amazingly talented Tim Halperin. (who may or may not have a shout out in CFD – coffee shop, anyone?) During that week, the kids participating learned the song "This City" by Patrick Stump (ft. Lupé Fiasco). It was Patrick's single from his debut solo album, and I instantly fell in love.

The song about a hometown – a city – that no matter how bad the area is, it's home. It's in your blood. It's the kind of city that even if it floods or burns down or is overrun by gangs and violence, it's still a piece of your soul. It's YOUR city. It's something in your veins and in your heart that can't be taken away. It's a feeling, and it's all yours. The instant I heard this song, I knew it was my Horn Island anthem.

Horn Island is the exact opposite of the gorgeous Crescent Cove. But I love Horn Island. Even with its ghetto apartments, paint-peeling liquor stores, and dirty sand, Horn Island has character. It has depth. Vin says himself that it's a place you just can't leave. The (surf gang) West Coast Hooligans are from Horn Island. They're rough, rowdy, wild, and territorial. That's their city. It's my city. It's a huge part of what makes Chasing Forever Down realistic. The Hooligans are the type of edgy characters that made me want to become a writer in the first place.

This city was never meant to be such a big part of CFD, but Horn Island took on a life of its own, and I owe a lot of that to "This City." Thank you, Patrick Stump! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment