Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Music Monday: "Always Summer" by Yellowcard

Music Monday is a weekly feature where I highlight a song that has influenced me through writing, through life events, or just because it’s made my day a little better! This week, I’ll be highlighting…



Song title: “Always Summer”
Artist: Yellowcard

Featured novel: Rough Waters (Drenaline Surf #2)

The story behind this song: In June 2012, my sister and I took a trip to Ft. Walton Beach, Florida, for her birthday/graduation present. I was in the process of finishing the last few chapters of Chasing Forever Down, and I still remember so clearly writing Kale's prayer from the hotel room. While we were there, I took advantage of the hotel's high speed internet (because we can't get high speed at our house - we live in the boondocks!). I downloaded the newest single from Yellowcard, my BFF's favorite band and a band that somehow finds its way onto the playlist for every book I write. "Always Summer" hit me in an exceptional way because CFD wasn't mean to have a sequel. At least not until the drive to Florida.

Emily started asking a million questions about the secondary characters and "whatever happened to..." Many of these questions circled around Colby Taylor and his life/secrets. We both realized that my time in Crescent Cove wasn't even close to over. "Always Summer" has always been linked directly to Colby to me because of the lyrics. This book (Rough Waters) explores his life, motives, secrets, and the "why" to so many of Emily's questions. This song really speaks from his POV, and I won't even lie - I actually somewhat dread letting the world in on his secrets because it's sorta fun right now while everyone else hates him and I love him because I know the truth. Maybe readers won't care about his redemption, but he's a character I've really enjoyed writing and can't wait to see more of. He's one I really relate to, and if this wasn't my own book, he'd probably be my favorite character. (But you know, author bias kicks in.)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that song. Probably in my top 5 for Yellowcard so far! I can't wait for Rough Waters. I guess I'm like Emily and really want to know what happens with everyone. I love those characters so much!

    Kristalyn

    ReplyDelete