Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

Friday Five: Favorite Things in Breaking Saint Jude

For today's Friday five, I'm highlighting five of my favorite things in Breaking Saint Jude.



5) Hole-in-the-wall locations

Like most of my books, I used a fictional town with fictional places for #JUDE. It's just a lot easier. The cool thing about this book is that most of the locations aren't your typical mall, restaurant, etc. Everything's a bit hole-in-the-wall. It's like exploring secret places in a city you've always lived in but never really seen.

4) Man in an ice cube

I couldn't not put this on my list. How often can someone say they had this in a book? I can't even explain it, though. You'll have to read the book.

3) Black cats

As stated in the book's blurb, Jude's mom saves black cats. Jude's current pet in this book is a black cat named Hawthorne. If I ever turn into an old crazy cat lady, I'll only have black cats - I mean, really, what's more creepy than an old crazy cat lady? An old crazy cat lady with all black cats. (I also have a cool little black cat story that I'm going to share on release day!)

2) Broken glass

Jude collects broken glass as part of his healing/therapy process. It's a cool little element that defines him, and I particularly love it.

1) Frost

This book wouldn't exist without Frost, Jude's polar bear at the zoo. Long ago, I had a scene pop in my head, and I knew I wanted to write about a teenage guy and a polar bear. That initial scene isn't in this book, or even related to this book, but it's what inspired #JUDE. I basically want a pet polar bear now.

No comments:

Post a Comment