Pages

Friday, November 13, 2015

Review Tips: For Those Who Don't Know What to Say (Like Me)

Authors ask for reviews - a lot. And while many people tell me they loved my books, they never leave reviews. I don't think people realize *why* authors ask for reviews or *how* reviews help (this is for another post). Most people think, "Well, someone else will review it who can do a better job than I could." But so many people think that, therefore reviews rarely happen.

I'm a terrible reviewer because, like most people, "I just don't know what to say." So today, I'm going to give you some tips of what you can talk about in reviews that may make it easier. I will be using my own books as examples because I know them very well and love them, obviously.

*What you loved about the book 

  • I loved Jude's quirks like collecting broken glass and saving black cats. (Breaking Saint Jude) 
  • I loved the sibling relationships and how realistic Emery was as the annoying little sister. (American Girl on Saturn) 
  • I loved the setting of Crescent Cove. (Chasing Forever Down)


*Who your favorite character was 

  • Levi Griffin is perfect. (Breaking Saint Jude) 
  • I adored A.J. Gonzalez and his bad boy image, even though he's actually endearing and has the best heart. (Chasing Forever Down) 
  • Theo's backstory gave his character depth and really made me connect to him. (Rough Waters) 
  • Micah Youngblood owns my heart. (Falling From the Sky) 


*Tell us your favorite scene

  • The 'first kiss' between Micah and Ridge is my favorite kiss scene I've ever read. (Falling From the Sky - in all actuality, it's my favorite I've ever read or written. I really do love it.) 
  • I wish the carnival scene never ended! (Rough Waters) 


*Talk about the overall vibe of the book, no details required

  • I loved that this book focused on chasing dreams and building relationships instead of being a typical YA romance. (Chasing Forever Down) 


*What else you want 

  • Are you looking forward to the sequel? 
  • Hope this book turns into a series? 
  • Want to see more of the side characters or want more of this setting? Say it!


*How did it make you feel?

  • Were you happy? 
  • Did you laugh or cry throughout the entire thing? 
  • Have you told all of your friends to read it? 
  • Did it make you feel adventurous or warm and fuzzy? Say it!


Remember: It doesn't have to be a book report. You don't have to recap the book.  Just a few lines about what you liked (or didn't like) is great. If it got you through a bad day or a tough week, say it. You don't have to be proper. You don't have to spoil anything. You don't have to go on for paragraph after paragraph. A few lines is really all it takes. It helps in ways you don't even know.

2 comments:

  1. This helps a lot. I'll keep this in mind when I write reviews. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I tend to fangirl over books and never know what to say.

    ReplyDelete